As you consider flooring options, are you thinking about the resale value of your home? Whether you plan sell right away or in several years, it’s important to choose floors you love that will also give you a strong return on investment. Here is some advice to keep in mind:
- Hardwood flooring sells. If you already have it, refinishing it is a cost-effective option to consider. If you don’t already have hardwood floors, consider investing in it – especially for key rooms like the living room, dining room and family room. When choosing between engineered and solid hardwood flooring, select the option that works best in the home’s climate. Engineered works better for humid areas, whereas both solid and engineered can handle dry climates.
- Laminate flooring is a good choice if hardwood floors are too expensive. It provides many of the same benefits at a much lower price point.
- Carpeting is one of those cost-effective flooring options if you’re putting your home on the market soon, plus soft carpets can feel comfortable in bedrooms. However, smelly, worn or damaged carpets can make a big difference to potential buyers, so you may want to consider replacing it if it’s been a while. When you pick a color, opt for neutral shades.
- Vinyl floors can be a good choice if hardwood flooring is out of your budget. Although it won’t give you as high a return as wood, it can still help your home appear well maintained without you needing to invest a lot out of pocket. It’s best to select a neutral shade for this flooring option too.
- Tile is popular for bathrooms, although we’d recommend upgrading to luxury vinyl tile. It’s much more cost-effective than tile and provides many of the same benefits as well.
Do you want additional suggestions for flooring options that will help your return on investment when you move? Come visit our showroom! Our experts are happy to offer suggestions specific to your budget and needs. Be sure to contact us for a in-home estimate, too!